Omar Dimachkieh, M.D.Hand & Upper Extremity Surgeon
Omar Dimachkieh, MD, (pronounced Di-mosh-key) is a fellowship-trained board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in surgery of the hand and upper extremity.
Dr. Dimachkieh specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery with an emphasis on disorders of the hand, wrist and elbow. His expertise includes the latest and most advanced techniques for minimally invasive surgery and reconstructive treatments, as well as nonsurgical management and rehabilitation.
Dr. Dimachkieh is a native Houstonian and has called Houston his home for all but one year of his life. While in high school, he was admitted to the highly competitive Rice-Baylor Medical Scholar Program, which admits a select group of senior high school students annually to attend Baylor College of Medicine for their medical training. He graduated magna cum laude from Rice University, where he was selected for membership in the Phi Beta Kappa honor society.
He next attended Baylor College of Medicine for both medical school and for orthopedic surgery residency training, where he provided care for patients from all walks of life throughout the Texas Medical Center, including the Veterans Administration hospital, Texas Children’s Hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center and Ben Taub General Hospital.
During residency training, Dr. Dimachkieh was honored with the Resident Physician Teaching Award, given to the resident physician that performs as an outstanding educator of medical students. He was also elected by his peers to the prestigious Alpha Omega Alpha medical honors society, an honor given to a single resident physician per year, for exemplary service to the medical community.
Dr. Dimachkieh continued his subspeciality training, completing a Hand and Upper Extremity surgery fellowship at the University of Colorado, where he received advanced training in common as well as complex hand and upper extremity injuries and conditions.
He returned to Houston to join the faculty at McGovern Medical School at UT Health Houston as an Assistant Professor in the department of orthopedic surgery. He built a busy private practice in north Houston while providing the community with hand trauma call coverage at a busy level II trauma center. Furthermore, he contributed to resident physician education at the medical school, staffing surgical cases at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital.
Locally, Dr. Dimachkieh has been recognized by his peers as a ‘Top Doctor’ in Houstonia Magazine and Texas Monthly Magazine. Dr. Dimachkieh performs the latest procedures in hand and upper extremity surgery, including endoscopic carpal and cubital tunnel releases, tendon and ligament repair and reconstruction, microsurgical repair of nerves, arthroscopy, fracture fixation, and joint reconstruction and replacement.
Dr. Dimachkieh is married to his wife of twelve years, Amy, whom he met during orientation week at Rice University. They have two beautiful twin daughters and an adorable son, whom they adore.
2017 – 2022 The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Houston, TX
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
2023 - present Fondren Orthopedic Group Houston, TX
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Specialist
2016 – 2017 University of Colorado Denver, CO
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellow
2011 – 2016 Baylor College of Medicine Houston, TX
- Orthopaedic Surgery Resident Physician
- Alpha Omega Alpha
2007 – 2011 Baylor College of Medicine Houston, TX
2003 – 2007 Rice University Houston, TX
- B.S. Biochemistry
- Magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- 2020 Subspecialty Certificate in Surgery of the Hand: passed
- 2019 American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Part II: passed
- 2016 American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Part I: passed
- 2015 Orthopaedic In-Training Examination: score in 99th percentile among all takers
- 2012 USMLE Step 3: passed (score 229 / 85)
- 2011 USMLE Step 2 CK: passed (score 258 / 99)
- 2011 USMLE Step 2 CS: passed
- 2010 USMLE Step 1: passed (score 265 / 99)
- 2021, 2022 Houstonia Magazine Top Doctors, Hand Surgery
- 2021, 2022 Texas Monthly Magazine, Texas Super Doctors Rising Stars
- 2015 Alpha Omega Alpha resident inductee
- 2012 – 2013 House Officer Teaching Excellence Award, BCM
- 2012 – 2013 Dept of Emergency Medicine Outstanding Consultant Award, BCM
- 2010 – 2011 Certificate for Outstanding Achievement in Orthopedics Research, BCM
- 2007 – 2011 Academic Merit Scholarship, Full Tuition, BCM
- 2007 Phi Beta Kappa inductee
- 2007 Rice Undergraduate Research Symposium, 3rd Place, Natural Sciences Division
- 2003 – 2007 Rice University Trustees Distinguished Scholar Scholarship
- 2003 – 2007 President’s Honor Roll 2003 – 2007 National Dean’s List
- 2003 Hispanic Heritage Youth Scholarship Houston, Health and Sciences Division
- 2003 National Merit Scholar / National Hispanic Recognition Program
- Ipaktchi K, Dimachkieh O, Chaudhry S. Chapter 18: Carpus. In: Sports-related Fractures, Dislocations and Trauma. Springer Publishing, 218 – 244, 2020.
- Banegas R, Dimachkieh O, D’Agostino L. Chapter 12: Distal Radius Fractures. In: Tips & Tricks in Orthopedic Trauma: a Case-based Approach. TreeLife Media, 108 – 124, 2017.
- Dimachkieh O, Stal DN, Jones H, Noble PC. Common Areas of Articulation of the Native Patella and Tibia on the Femur. Orthopaedic Research Society, 2010.
- Dimachkieh O, Stal DN, Jones H, Noble PC. The Femur Articulates With Both the Patella and the Tibia During Functional Activities. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, April 2010.
- Stal DN, Dimachkieh O, Jones H, Noble PC. The Impact of Implant Design Regarding Patellofemoral Orthopaedic Research Society, 2010.
- Stal DN, Dimachkieh O, Jones H, Noble PC. Variations in the Morphology of the Patellofemoral Sulcus of TKA Designs. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, April 2010.
- Dimachkieh O. Complex Case Presentations: Elbow. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Conference. Denver, CO, Mar 2017.
- Dimachkieh O. Median Nerve Injuries. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Conference. Denver, CO, Jan 2017.
- Dimachkieh O. Complex Case Presentations: Hand. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Conference. Denver, CO, Jan 2017.
- Dimachkieh O. Fractures of the Hand and Wrist. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Conference. Denver, CO, Nov 2016.
- Dimachkieh O. Kienbock’s Disease: It’s All About the Lunate. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Denver, CO, Oct 2016.
- Dimachkieh O. Complex Case Presentations: Wrist. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Conference. Denver, CO, Oct 2016.
- Dimachkieh O. Updates on Upper Extremity Replantations and Revascularizations. University of Colorado Hand Surgery Conference. Denver, CO, Aug 2016.
- Dimachkieh O. The Global Cost of Musculoskeletal Injury. Department of Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds. Houston, TX, Sept 2015.
- Dimachkieh O. Upper Extremity Replantations. Department of Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds. Houston, TX, Apr 2015.
- Dimachkieh O. Syndesmosis Injuries in the Athlete: From Weekend Warriors to Professionals. Department of Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds. Houston, TX, Apr2014.
- Dimachkieh O. Soft Tissue Tumors of the Foot and Ankle. Houston Bone and Joint Clinic Continuing Medical Education-accredited Presentation. Houston, TX, Feb 2014.
- Dimachkieh O. Update on the New Triple Arthrodesis of the Foot. Houston Bone and Joint Clinic Continuing Medical Education-accredited Lecture Series. Houston, TX, Dec 2013.
- Dimachkieh O, Stal DN, Jones H, Noble PC. Common Areas of Articulation of the Native Patella and Tibia on the Femur. Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA, Mar 2010.
- Dimachkieh O, Bondos S, Matthews K. In vivo Morphological Effects of Ultrabithorax (Ubx) Mutations in Drosophila melanogaster. Rice Undergraduate Research Symposium. Houston, TX, Apr 2007.
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand, active member
- American Association for Hand Surgery, active member
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, candidate member
- Texas Orthopaedic Association
- American Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association
Conversant in Spanish.